21-12-2015 09:00 AM
Administrator
Thanked 117 Times
in 31 Posts
Where Do You Work From?

I recently came across a really great website I wanted to share on this forum: www.workfrom.co

The site lets you create a profile and/or browse cities around the world to find the best places to work from on your laptop including cafes and co-working spaces. As a digital nomad, I know all too well how hard it is to find a place to work especially while traveling.

What I especially liked about the site is that if you are adding a space, it automatically rates the internet connection speed to let others browsing the site see how strong and how good it really is. I mean, in a world where WiFi has unofficially become the greatest Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs need, I think that's really handy (unofficial diagram to prove this below).

So if you have a sec, highly recommend for you to check out WorkFrom and use the site yourself to share your hidden gems of the best internet connections around the world you've found.

By the way, question for anyone reading: do you prefer working in a cafe, at home, or in a co-working space? And why? :)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eva maria For This Useful Post:
Sam Bakker (12-21-2015)
srecko olujic (12-21-2015)
alexander1660 (01-17-2016)
3plus6 (01-31-2016)
Hartmut (02-02-2016)
shaunling (09-27-2016)
Where Do You Work From?
21-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Thanked 762 Times
in 454 Posts
This is really cool! Added the place I'm at now :D showing the internet is strong but the upload speed isnt great
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam Bakker For This Useful Post:
davesweneydubai (01-14-2016)
eva maria (01-17-2016)
Where Do You Work From?
14-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanked 26 Times
in 23 Posts

I am heading there now...Thanks for the tip, kinda cool...

I like to work from a cafe, home, or somewhere there are not too many distractions, unless this is not important...

In the future, my plan is to work from my own bar in Palawan (PH)! That tale is for another day and post lol....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davesweneydubai For This Useful Post:
eva maria (01-17-2016)
3plus6 (04-29-2016)
Where Do You Work From?
17-01-2016, 09:28 AM
Founding Member
Thanked 13 Times
in 10 Posts

Like the look of that pyramid, isn't that the true truth. Always on the hunt for good wifi. Tend to work on the go so it can be a work in progress through out the day. Will check it out.

.Looking to try working from a rented work space  for the next couple of months for half of the week to see if I can make better progress.

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to alexander1660 For This Useful Post:
eva maria (01-17-2016)
Where Do You Work From?
27-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanked 48 Times
in 29 Posts

Looking to try working from a rented work space  for the next couple of months for half of the week to see if I can make better progress.

I tried this recently and have been loving it. Especially when I need to dig deep and get a significant amount done in a shorter time period. A quick 10minute walk down to the office, put the headphones on and get into it!

Not to mention working from home you can spend a bit too much time at home! Its great to seperate business and personal sometimes i think!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sam robinson For This Useful Post:
eva maria (01-27-2016)
davidgoldfinch (01-29-2016)
3plus6 (01-31-2016)
roboughticdad (02-21-2016)
Where Do You Work From?
29-01-2016, 02:54 AM
Founding Member
Thanked 147 Times
in 83 Posts

I tried this recently and have been loving it. Especially when I need to dig deep and get a significant amount done in a shorter time period... Not to mention working from home you can spend a bit too much time at home! Its great to seperate business and personal sometimes i think!

Hear, Hear! I love being able to work from home, yet being able to go to the office/studio if and when I need to. 
The Following 1 User Say Thank You to davidgoldfinch For This Useful Post:
eva maria (01-29-2016)
Where Do You Work From?
29-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Founding Member
Thanked 181 Times
in 247 Posts

In the future, my plan is to work from my own bar in Palawan (PH)! That tale is for another day and post lol....

Sounds like a good plan to me - it will be a "must-do stopover" when in the Philippines! 😵

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to 3plus6 For This Useful Post:
Where Do You Work From?
24-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Founding Member
Thanked 17 Times
in 14 Posts

I love working from home because it cuts out any wasted time travelling to and from work. I've been working from home for just over two years now. Every day I walk the huge distance of 20 meters to my garden office. The internet connection runs through the electric earth cable and I've installed a small log burning stove. Initially I worried about being 'at home' and being able to shift my mindset. My partner knows that I am working if I have my headphones in so she never interrupts me :-) and I make sure my day has many rituals in order to get me into the 'working state'... hell, I even have a pair of shoes that I put on when writing long copy. My friends assume that I have a lot of discipline being able to work from home, but I disagree. My rituals of breakfast, walking my dogs and (this is an odd one) making sure the worktops and sink is clear in the kitchen - sets me up for the day ahead. Time seems to pass very quickly and I take time out to reward myself throughout the day with a siesta, fresh coffee or maybe do something different like chopping wood to shift my energy from mental to physical. I think the real secret to working from home is having balance and variety to keep the mind alert and stimulated. I understand that working solo for some people would be difficult - I talk to my dogs, have regular skype calls with clients and colleagues and keep my social interactions alive by allowing myself at least 1 hour of 'chat' per day. Again, this is one of the rewards I put in place for getting projects complete and on time. 

Having spent a lifetime of renting offices and factories and paying out all the additional costs associated with 'going to work' I can honestly say that working from home is the best move I ever made. That said, I will certainly look at the website that Eva shared if I ever plan on working and travelling in the future.

Thanks Eva, great contribution.

Kev

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevweb For This Useful Post:
3plus6 (10-25-2016)
eva maria (10-25-2016)
Register Now To Post On This Thread