22-08-2016 11:49 AM
Founding Member
Thanked 11 Times
in 12 Posts
Finding a trustworthy developer

I have an idea for a product and have ZERO development skills. Would you share with me how one goes about finding a developer they can trust without giving the concept away to 10 people in the process?   Also, are there partnership options in such a venture, or is it always big money to get underway? Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

60% of the time it works every time.

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to Tyler Lebens For This Useful Post:
shaunling (02-02-2017)
25-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Thanked 152 Times
in 109 Posts

I have an idea for a product and have ZERO development skills. Would you share with me how one goes about finding a developer they can trust without giving the concept away to 10 people in the process?   Also, are there partnership options in such a venture, or is it always big money to get underway? Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

Hey,

I am a developer myself and here are few things that I think can help you get the right developer and successful project completion:

Be Aware of The Process

First of all, please make sure that you are aware of how the entire process works for development. I recommend reading (plenty of content out there, just google). So that you get a little idea on who is responsible for what and it will help you better manage the project and delegating the responsibilities.

Responsibilities You Should Be Aware Of

Now, I am not sure if you are looking to develop a web app or a desktop software or a wordpress plugin/theme. But I will give you an rough idea on the roles and people you need to get a quality software produced:

1) Core Developer - The ones that will be working on core of the app (make sure you focus more on finding a trusted person working on this role).

2) Front End Developer - They are generally the ones who will get designs from UI/UX developers and implement them (In simple terms, these are HTML developers who will take psd etc and convert it into HTML for the core developer to implement).

3) UI/UX Developer - These are mainly designers who care about the entire flow of the applications and what should be shown where (I recommend you being part of this process as much as you can).

4) Tester - A tester is always helpful in testing the versions your teams deploys. A good tester will also save you money in the long run. 

5) Manager - This is the person who will basically distribute jobs to the team and makes sure that everything is going as planned. Also someone who resolves team conflicts, provides team what they want and ensure that everyone is updated on whats going on in the company. 

Do not worry, you do not need to hire all of these folks when getting started. As a starter, you can be Manager, Tester and UI Designer yourself. 

Create Mockups/UIs Before Development Begins

One of the greatest help a developer gets is when they see a complete design of the app that is needed to be made prior to development. I cannot stress this enough. Mockups/UIs are helpful in so many ways. 

Even the best developers out there are not good at design and if you expect a developer to create something without any prior designs provided, chances are you will be asking developer lot of extra work once you see the first version of your app. This will end up costing you a lot more and also unnecessary time being put by the developer.

If a developer knows exactly how it all looks prior to starting the app, it will save ton of time for developer and money for you. 

Not just that, often, clients are vague on explaining what exactly they need and I totally understand because we all work on the web and its not the best way to explain ideas (face to face is much better). But we cannot change that, working via web also has great advantages. So how do we solve this problem? How do we close the gap between your vision and what developer has understood? The answer is, Mockups/UIs.

Here is a simple example, a client asks his developer to create a feature in which a end user can send emails to the lead they collected in their app (hypothetical example in which the app lets end user store leads). Once developer is asked to do this, developer goes on creating a feature to send emails but he forgets to add in WYSWYG editor. Or a option to only send emails to specific customers and so on. As you can see, developer never had the idea that it should work this way so he applied his own logics to create it but then found out thats not what client wants and went back to the drawing board. And this is just small example, this happens lot of times for almost all features. 

So mockups/UI will remove the guesswork out of the picture and ensures optimal results. 

Choosing The Right Platform

Choosing a right platform is also important. You can save lot of time only by selecting a correct platform for your application. For example if you are building a web app, most of the developers use PHP (although now its changing). But PHP is awesome and I use it myself. But here is the thing, PHP has tons of frameworks. Frameworks is basically done-for-you code. And there are frameworks for everything. For example I want to develop a e-commerce application, then I can use a framework specifically made for e-commerce applications and this will help save me tons of time because it will have all the basic stuff needed for e-commerce already in-built (not exactly in-built but your developer will know what I mean :)).

So do study a bit on which platform to use and if you are unsure, simply ask your developer, do not fix a platform until and unless you know about it and be a bit flexible on this if you trust your developer.

Attracting Great Developers

Once you are aware of the process (or atleast a plan on how you will get it done), go ahead and create a good document with all the features you need and also vision for the app along with any references or examples (these helps developers a lot if they have some reference point to get started).

Make sure you clearly define all the tasks you need. By tasks, I mean clear features list. And if you have Mockup then thats it, you basically explained all the features too (mockups are great way to see all the features you need). And developer will definitely ask you questions once they see your mockups.

A great way to find out if you have a talented developer or not is by the questions they ask before getting started. If they have no questions, chances are they simply want your money and then figure out later whats what. If they ask questions, see how in details they are asking it, this is a good sign to know on how interested they are in making sure this application is made.

So thats it, if you have features list, mockups and a good job description, you will attract some talented developers. And you will know if they are or not by seeing the questions they ask, their profile ratings and also the past job they did (always ask for it).

Here are Some Best Places to Find Talented Developers

There are plenty of ways to find talented developers. If you decide to hire locally then I will write another post for it. If you are willing to hire them online, I recommend upwork. The reason is, they let you add your developer on Skype and this way you can have a real interview before getting started. Also their rating system is great so you know who you are hiring. So definitely post a job on upwork with above details I mentioned and see how it goes.

Ensuring the Quality/Stability Of The Application

After the entire application is created and if you cannot appoint a tester, get as many beta testers as you can (infact get Beta testers even if you appoint a tester). This way REAL users will be using your applications and giving you great feedback. And of course before you send the app to beta testers make sure you thoroughly test the app yourself.

Applications Are Continuous Process

Once you have you brand new application fully deployed, you will always needs more updates/bug fixes and if you have a bigger vision then version 2 etc. So the same process applies but now it becomes easier because you have enough experience by now for any further development.

I know this seems a lot to do but the question was bit vague so I have explained how it goes for a quality and stable application to be created, you can always find all-in-one guys if the idea is small and wont need to go through all the things. But I highly recommend you to strive to create better applications and all this process will teach a lot in further endeavors in your life too.

I personally think everyone should be aware of the above because now or later everyone should create some sort of a application. Humans since the beginning have been creating tools to make our lives easier and computers/applications are the greatest tools of our time. So everyone should give it a try on creating tools based on computers and leveraging this greatest platform of our time. :)

Sorry for being philosophical.

Hope that helps,
Thanks! :)

P.S: I forgot to mention about the costing/partnership part. This is totally depending on what kind of application you want to build and the vision. If you want to grow this application for years, make sure you make the developer as partner. And if its a small project you can go with hiring on hourly basis. The costs will depend on the person you hire and the total time he will need to develop it (which depends on the idea that you have).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rohit shah For This Useful Post:
anthony (08-26-2016)
dmrginc (09-13-2016)
Tyler Lebens (10-30-2016)
3plus6 (12-23-2016)
shaunling (02-02-2017)
26-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Free member
Thanked 42 Times
in 38 Posts

You gave a very good and detailed answer about product creation.

1.  The original request about who to trust was not addressed.  How can one find a developer who is trustworthy and will not steal away your concept?

2.  Another way to explain your answer could be done by giving real/mock examples or case studies.  If this is practical, can you do it on this forum?

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to anthony For This Useful Post:
12-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Free member
Thanked 2 Times
in 2 Posts

omg,   this guy has no shame.

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to dmrginc For This Useful Post:
13-09-2016, 03:20 AM
Free member
Thanked 2 Times
in 2 Posts

1.  The original request about who to trust was not addressed.  How can one find a developer who is trustworthy and will not steal away your concept?

2.  Another way to explain your answer could be done by giving real/mock examples or case studies.  If this is practical, can you do it on this forum?

THIS IS THE GUY I MEANT...   OMG,    I hope I was not misunderstood!!!

I'm a Huge Fan of Rohit!!
The Following 1 User Say Thank You to dmrginc For This Useful Post:
13-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Free member
Thanked 42 Times
in 38 Posts

omg,   this guy has no shame.

THIS IS THE GUY I MEANT...   OMG,    I hope I was not misunderstood!!!

I'm a Huge Fan of Rohit!!

No Shame?  Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

I gave a few responses to Rohit's EXCELLENT posting.  After all, the BakkersBoard Forum is for sharing and learning.

Has anyone else come to the conclusion that I had No Shame with my post?

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to anthony For This Useful Post:
23-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Free member
Thanked 3 Times
in 6 Posts
People worry far too much about others stealing their ideas.

In reality, it rarely happens. There are so many ideas out there and developers are usually great at developing and programming and poor at marketing.

That is why you see a lot of partnerships forming with SaaS products. A GREAT programmer partnered with a GREAT marketer makes for a winning combination.

I would concentrate on finding a talented programmer who can or will deliver on time. This is usually the biggest problem in my experience. It nearly always takes longer and costs more than is planned.

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to lloydh For This Useful Post:
23-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Free member
Thanked 178 Times
in 247 Posts

Thanks Rohit, this is one of the best posts, most informative answers I have seen on Bakkers Board!

Appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed post. Merry Christmas good man!

The Following 1 User Say Thank You to 3plus6 For This Useful Post:
Register Now To Post On This Thread